HARRISONBURG, Va. – After a rainout on Saturday, the Royals took the field Sunday for an ODAC doubleheader against Ferrum.
EMU picked up 14 hits in game one, but unfortunately it was Ferrum who grabbed the 16-5 win. It was the Panthers with the win in the matinee as well, taking game two 9-3.
EMU vs Ferrum – Game One
Records: EMU 5-16, 1-6 ODAC | Ferrum 6-13, 1-5 ODAC
WP: Raleigh Walker (1-2)
LP: Hunter West (1-4)
Sv: Bryce Thacker (1)
- Ferrum pushed one across in the first off West, using a pair of doubles to take a 1-0 lead. The Royals responded with two in their half of the first, as Logan Mason led off with a single, moved to second on a sac bunt and scored on Nick Arnold's base hit. Arnold then came around to score on a throwing error by the shortstop, giving the Royals a 2-1 lead.
- The Panthers retook the lead on a two-run homerun in the top of the third as part of 14 unanswered runs scored across the third, fifth, sixth and seventh innings.
- EMU picked up RBI from Cole Bashinski in the seventh, Arnold in the eighth and Aidan Miller in the ninth to cut into the Panthers lead, but Ferrum would grab the game one win.
Arnold: 2-2, 2 RBI, 2 R
Spraker, Mason: 2-4, 2 R each
Miller: 2-4, RBI
Matthew Harding: 2-3
EMU vs Ferrum – Game Two
Records: EMU 5-17, 1-7 ODAC | Ferrum 7-13, 2-5 ODAC
WP: Cameron Mullins (1-3)
LP: Keenan Fulwood (1-1)
- FC went ahead 1-0 on an RBI single in the second off Fulwood. They added to their lead, moving ahead 4-0 with three in the third. The Royals put runners on in the first three innings, but couldn't push anyone across.
- The Royals got on the board in the fifth after Erik Wilkinson led off with a triple and came in to score on Alex Gulisano's RBI double, cutting the Panthers lead to 4-1.
- Fulwood gave way to Skylar Lacks in the sixth after an RBI single pushed the Panthers lead back to four, 5-1. Another run in the seventh made it 6-1 before Bashinski's sac fly in the seventh brought EMU back with four.
- Both teams scored in the ninth, with Ferrum adding two and EMU scoring a run on Mason's double, scoring Miller. Back-to-back flyouts ended the game and secured the FC win.
Mason: 2-5, 2B, RBI
Gulisano: 2-4, 2B, RBI
EMU will head to Winchester on Tuesday to take on Shenandoah in a midweek ODAC matchup. First pitch against the Hornets is scheduled for 4 pm.
To keep up to date with everything surrounding EMU baseball, follow EMU on Twitter and Instagram, like EMU Athletics on Facebook or visit our website.