HARRISONBURG, Va. - After Tuesday's game against Wilson was postponed, EMU kicked off its 2021-22 home slate on Friday night against the Bullets of Gettysburg College.
A large home crowd saw the Royals get down big in the first half, battle in the second half and fall just short as the Royals fell 50-62 to GC.
- EMU was held without a bucket for the first four minutes of the game as Gettysburg jumped out to an 8-0 lead. Chris Simmons put an end to the scoreless start and Tim Jones followed that up with a layup of his own to cut into the Bullets lead.
- Gettysburg then went on a 11-0 run to take a 19-4 lead before Jones made his second basket of the game. The Royals were able to pull within 11 late in the first half, 10-21, but GC ended the frame on an 11-2 run and took a 32-12 lead into the half. For the half, EMU shot just 16% from the floor and was 0-11 from three.
- The Royals came out in the second half with their foot on the gas. A Landon Swingler dunk from Jones was followed by a Simmons layup that brought the crowd back into the game and forced a Gettysburg timeout.
- Out of the timeout, the two teams traded baskets and GC continued to hold a double-digit lead, 40-23.
- With the Bullets leading 42-23, EMU went on a swing offensively. A Jones layup followed by a DaiJordan Brown hoop and harm gave the Royals a bit of momentum. Swingler hit a three and Michael Watlington made a layup and a free throw to cut the lead to 11. Gettysburg was able to re-extend their lead to 12 but Jones hit a three to bring EMU within single digits. A Simmons layup and a Mark Burkholder three sandwiched a Gettysburg basket, with GC leading 52-43.
- Once again, the two teams went back and forth on buckets before five straight points from Brown narrowed Gettysburg's lead to just seven with 2:35 to play. That was as close as EMU would get, though, as the Bullets scored the next five points on free throws to escape Yoder Arena with a win.
- Jones led the way for EMU with 16 points to go along with five rebounds and five assists. Swingler finished with nine points while Simmons added eight. Burkholder grabbed nine rebounds.
EMU will play one more game before Thanksgiving, as they welcome Mary Baldwin to Yoder Arena on Tuesday. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 pm, following the women's game.