HARRISONBURG, Va. - The EMU softball team couldn't have asked for much better of a start to its 2022 season.
The Royals racked up 21 runs on 22 hits on offense while giving up just five runs in the circle en route to a pair of run-rule wins on Sunday. They took down Pitt-Bradford 12-4 in game one before downing the Panthers 9-1 in game two. The wins move EMU to 2-0, 0-0 ODAC while Pitt-Bradford falls to 0-4, 0-0 AMCC.
Game One Highlights
- Emily Campbell sat the Panthers down in order to start the first and then got help when the Royals took a 3-0 lead in the bottom half. A Grace Fravel sac fly scored Bri Allen followed by a Kaitlyn Fletcher RBI single and a Korenn Paige RBI groundout.
- The Panthers picked up a run in the top of the second but EMU busted the game open in their half of the inning. Sierra Lantz blasted a homerun over the left field fence, driving in Kendall Stettler and Allen, to put EMU ahead 6-1.
- Campbell helped her cause in the third, keeping the Panthers off the board and then doubling in a pair of runs, followed by a Becca Boone RBI single. A Panther error allowed a fourth run to cross home plate and then Fravel singled, driving in Allen.
- Pitt-Bradford would add a pair in the top of the fourth but Campbell would strand a runner on third to end the frame. The Royals would get that run back when Campbell drove in her third run of the day, plating Fletcher and giving EMU a 12-3 lead.
- Fletcher took over in the circle in the fifth. A single and an error allowed a run to score but a pop out in four territory ended the game.
- Campbell finished 2-3 with three RBI and a run. Boone and Fletcher also had a pair of hits. Lantz also drove in three runs. Campbell (1-0) picked up the win in the circle, going 4.0 IP, giving up three hits and three runs with a strikeout.
Game Two Highlights
- Fravel (1-0) made her collegiate debut in the circle for EMU, and she pitched a doozy. She gave up just one run on two hits while striking out three.
- Boone picked up another hit in the second inning, driving in a pair of runs before an Allen double plated another before she came around to score on a wild pitch, giving EMU a 4-0 lead in the second.
- The Royals added four more in the third to push their lead to 8-0. Fletcher doubled to left, scoring Fravel on an error. Fletcher then scored on an obstruction call before Jessica McDonaldson scored on a wild pitch. Campbell continued her hot start at the plate, singling up the middle and driving in Erin Keith.
- EMU would tack on another run in the fourth when Keith singled up the middle driving in Fletcher.
- Fravel worked a perfect fifth inning to send the Royals to their second-straight run-rule win.
- Fletcher, McDonaldson, Keith and Campbell all had two hits for EMU. Boone drove in a pair of runs while Fletcher and Keith each scored a pair.
By The Numbers
- 7 - This is the Royals best start (2-0) since they started 2-0 during the 2015 season, seven years ago.
- 47 - The Royals offense has scored 47 runs over its last four games, including the final two games from last season (13, 13, 12, 9).
Postgame Interview with Coach McCurdy
EMU will have the next week off from games before they head down to South Carolina the week of Mar. 6. They'll play 10 games over five days at the Fastpitch Dreams Spring Classic in Myrtle Beach. Their first day of competition, March 6, will see them take on Hilbert at 9:30 am before squaring off with Cedar Crest at 11:30 am.