HARRISONBURG, Va. – It took a week later than planned, but the Royals softball team got their doubleheader against McDaniel in the books.
The Green Terror picked up a 1-0 win in a game one pitchers' duel before the Royals responded with a 14-9 win in game two.
EMU vs McDaniel – Game One
Records: EMU 5-5-1, 0-0 ODAC | McDaniel 5-8, 0-0 CC
WP: Parker Murphy (3-3)
LP: Natalye Graham (2-2)
- Graham was rolling in the circle, allowing just two hits in the first four innings of the game. The problem is that her counterpart was throwing just as well, allowing just one hit through three.
- The Royals had their best chance in the fourth, as they loaded the bases off a fielder's choice from Becca Boone, an error and a single by Autumn Bailey. But Parker got the final two out of the inning to keep the game scoreless.
- The Green Terror picked up the winning run in the fifth. After Graham made quick work of the first two batters, the third batter of the inning doubled and came around to score on a bloop single. The Royals would get a runner into scoring position in the fifth, but couldn't push her across. They then went down in order in the sixth and seventh.
Graham: 7.0 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 8 K
Hensley, Fravel, Bailey, Brake – 1 hit apiece
EMU vs McDaniel – Game Two
Records: EMU 6-5-1, 0-0 ODAC | McDaniel 5-9, 0-0 CC
WP: Fravel (2-1)
LP: Mel Grant (1-5)
- There was much more offense in this one, as McDaniel scored three in the first off Fravel, who got the start in the circle. The Royals responded with five of their own in the first, as Reese Rogers scored on an RBI from Fravel and Madi Armentrout came in to score on Taylor Umberger's RBI single. Bailey and Emerson Adkins each added RBI as the Royals took a 5-3 lead.
- The Green Terror added three more in the second off a single and a pair of doubles, taking a 6-3 lead. The Royals would tie things up in the third on a sacrifice fly from Carsen Brake.
- EMU busted the game open in the fourth, scoring eight runs. Armentrout led off with a walk and moved to third on Samantha Hensley's double. Fravel came up and homered to left field, breaking the tie. Brake and Hensley added RBI and the Royals would plate five more, taking a 14-6 lead.
- McDaniel would add a run in the fifth and a two-run homerun in the sixth, but wouldn't catch up as Graham finished out the last two innings to secure the win.
Fravel: 2-4, HR, 4 RBI, 2 R
Hensley: 3-4, 2 2B, RBI, R
Brake: 1-2, 2 RBI, R
The Royals will open ODAC play on Saturday with a home doubleheader against Randolph. First pitch of game one is scheduled for 1 pm.
To keep up to date with everything surrounding EMU softball, follow EMU on Twitter and Instagram, like EMU Athletics on Facebook or visit our website.